Friday, December 15, 2006

It's The Small Things That Count

I have a cd that I made with a collection of songs that make me cry. They remind me of times or people in my life or are just about really sad things. I “creatively” titled the cd “Sad Songs” and even made a nice label for it and keep it in my cd case in the car.

My husband is a big believer in the small things in life. While he is as appreciative as the next guy when he receives a birthday or Christmas gift, what really touches him are the small things. The things that let him know I’m thinking about him or that I love him. Through him, I have learned to appreciate the small things in life and to sometimes stand back and drink in the moment when someone is thinking about me.

Yesterday was the two year anniversary of my mom’s passing. I wasn’t intending to write a post about it, but rather reflect privately and mourn the day in my own way. I did write a post about her some time ago here if you would like to read more.

As the kids and I were leaving yesterday, Woody opened up my cd case and pulled out a cd to play. He did his usual routine where he teased Buzz about playing the “Bad Day” song (Daniel Powter) and waited for Buzz to cover his ears and scream “nooooooooooooooooo...” Which he did. Only? Woody really put in another cd that they both really like and they both laughed thinking this was still funny even after the 36th time it's been done. After a song or two, Woody took out the cd and put in another one. It was my “sad songs” cd.

After listening to Frank Sinatra sing “My Way.” I turned to him and asked why he chose that cd to play. He turned to me and said, “Daddy said that you were feeling sad today.”

“So, you put in the ‘sad songs’ cd because I’m feeling sad?”

“Uh, huh.”

It was a small thing on his part, but it ran deep and touched my heart nonetheless. Isn't that what really counts?

3 comments:

Pendullum said...

Oh Honey I am so sad for your loss....
So very sad...
And so grateful that you have a beautiful family that can envelope you with small gestures that can move mountains of grief and bring a song to your heart...

Zephra said...

Kids never cease to amaze me.

Pollyanna said...

I too am sorry for your loss. And it is amazing that your boys are so caring and thoughtful. I hope you are feeling better today!