Monday, September 19, 2011

You've Come A Long Way Baby

Happy 13th Birthday to my Baby Boy!

Dear Jacob -


13? There is no way you are 13. Look at this roly poly baby in the cute little beach hat.  Is that really you? I guess it must be. I look at that picture and I know that's my son, however, I I look at you now and there is no more baby fat, in fact, there are no more baby teeth either. Your voice has changed (when you called me the other day I thought you were Alex), you have body hair growing out of your arm pits and you are taller than me. When did all this happen?  One day you were running around the house in Spider Man undies and now suddenly I’m washing boxer briefs.  At some point you traded your sharp clothes, teddy bear and Star Wars light saber in for skinny jeans, a skateboard and a hockey stick. When did you start preferring YouTube and Facebook over Barney and Blues Clues? I mean, I know it happened and I know I must have been there when it did… I’m just having a difficult time pinpointing the precise moment. It all seams like a blur, or maybe it was some of that body odor that warped my brain (going without clean oxygen for prolonged periods of time has to take its toll).


Whatever it was, you are here now. A full fledged teenager. Life with you has been an adventure. You continue to crack me up every day with your wit, charm and sense of humor. You come up with the most random things. You told me last week, for example, that "in 4 days it will be exactly 1/8th of the way through the school year." Who knows stuff like that? Well, obviously you do!


You don't know this but I really look forward to talking to you after school every day. Do you know why? Because you always say something that makes me smile. I am looking forward to all that is in store for you in the future and I plan to be right there cheering you on. You are an amazing, intelligent and thoughtful kid and I am so proud to be your mom. Happy Birthday Jacob!

Love, Mom

No comments: