Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review - Mockingjay


Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins

I was really looking forward to the conclusion that Suzanne Collins would bring to this breathtaking series. However, I was a little disappointed with the ending. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting "happily-ever-after" (that would have been disappointing as well), but I was expecting a tight, crisp finale without any loose ends. I was expecting tragedy and loss of life (SPOILER ALERT) but not for almost every character to be gruesomely destroyed and/or sacrificed. I thought Katniss spent way to much time healing and/or in a drug-induced-depressive and indecisive stupor. I thought the plot with Peeta was interesting, I never saw that coming, so kudos for that. I didn't think Collins really defined or made Katniss choose between Gale and Peeta, but instead had her go with the flow as she kind of stumbled along until the decision was made for her. The final stand sequence was good with its pods and different dangers around each corner leading up to the Capitol. The team of clever Beetee and Gale was a winning combination of brains and skills from the start. But? I don't know, the book just left me unsatisfied, which is not what I expected after the first two books. Read the conclusion to get all of your questions answered if you must, but set your expectations a few notches down from where they were after the first book.
~Peace and Good Reads

No comments: