Monday, October 24, 2011

Goodwill Avocado Hunting




This is my neighbor "Dan's" avocado tree. Isn't it gorgeous? Not only is it huge, but the branches have grown over the years and many of them hang over onto our property. I could be wrong (I haven't researched any property laws) but I think, technically, if an avocado from this tree were to fall into our yard it would become "our" avocado. Right? I said right? Okay, that's what I thought.


This, on the other hand, is the stage of our avocado tree. It's not quite there yet. Okay, it's not even in the ground yet. We are trying, but this is about as far as we've been able to get. Being the impatient people that we are, we don't want to wait for 5-10 (20?) years to grow our own avocados when we practically have an orchard of them next door. Dan's tree has over a hundred avocados right now that are ripening to perfection  How many avocados can he possibly need or eat?
These are some of the branches that are hanging over the fence. One of them (below) is all the way over our roof. My husband believes we are entitled to not only these beautiful avocados but also some of the other ones that aren't "quite" on our side of the property line. So do I, of course, but the difference is that he doesn't want to just ask Dan if we can pick the avocados. It's like he equates it to asking directions, or some other "guy" thing that I just don't get. I'm sure Dan wouldn't mind. In fact I think he'd probably be proud that we had an interest in his avocados. I am absolutely positive that Dan would be more than happy that we wanted to take some for ourselves. But, no, we will not ask Dan if we can pick his avocados.


Instead my husband has decided to hunt for the avocados in cognito. This has presented several obstacles. One is that he has to wait for when Dan is not at home. Dan is a fireman... so his schedule is, er, irregular. Second, my husband has to be home at a time when Dan isn't at home.  My husband works two jobs, so his opportunities are few and far between. Also, you can't just pick the avocados before they are ready. You have to wait. But? If you wait to long, the birds or the squirrels may get to a ripe avocado first. It is a very difficult balance. When all the stars are aligned, Dan is not home and there is a ripe avocado ready to be plucked that hasn't been touched by an opportunistic squirrel or bird... then there presents a third obstacle. Dan's dog.


Dan's dog will bark and bark (and bark) every time my husband comes near the fence. Fortunately (despite how hubs feels about him), we also have a dog. And our dog? Has treats! A whole cupboard full of them. So, my husband will gather his hand made tool (an old basket he attached to what used to be a broom or shovel handle), his ladder and a pocketful of dog treats and set up for his avocado gathering.



It is a painstaking procedure, which I haven't seen for myself, but apparently he gets up on the ladder, reaches over the fence and tries to pry any avocados that are loose and ripe enough to come off their branch into (hopefully) the basket. He has been pretty successful so far and gotten a few avocados for our table. And? They are delicious. Smooth, creamy and with a hint of nutty after taste. So worth all the cloak and dagger. So. Worth. It.

Which? Leads me to my next endeavor. Limes. This (below, right) is where I walk the dog in my neighborhood. See that tree over on the right of the sidewalk?  No, a little further down... see, here (below, left)? That, is a lime tree.

 FYI: We have a lime tree in our back yard. A newly planted lime tree. That has no limes.











This lime tree? Has limes. Limes that are just sitting there. Branches sticking right out on the public sidewalk. I'm the public, aren't I? It doesn't even look like the people who live in this house even know they have a lime tree, that is ripe... with limes. So? Sometimes. When I'm walking the dog. I may (or may not) pluck one or two limes and slip them into my pocket. I mean? I don't know about the rest of you, but limes here, where I live, are currently two for a dollar. Fifty cents people. For a lime! That is criminal. I think I am justified. And if I'm not? Sue me. The limes are good. Although, maybe next time I walk by there I'll throw some quarters on the front porch, or just ask if I can have some!



6 comments:

berry'n'cheese said...

Hi,
thank you for stopping by via Exposure 99% hop...I am reverting back with a follow up ^_^


Glad to meet you and your blog is lovely :D

May said...

I love Avocado too. Thanks for linking up in Exposure 99% weekday hop. I look forward being part of your blog.

Mom Fashion World said...

I love avocados!

By the way, I'm your newest follower via GFC from Wednesday Blog Hop.
Please feel free to visit my blog. Looking forward to seeing you there, and hope you follow me back. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Candice said...

Yumm...avocados! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back :)

http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

Unknown said...

New follower from the hop! Come visit (and bring an avocado)!

Closer to Lucy said...

Dan is such a lucky man....I heart avocados!

Out for a little hopping, would love it if you would stop by Lucy's when you get time.