Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Our Kids' Education Courtesy of Nickelodeon

One day driving home in the car...

Radio: "blah blah blah blah something something, Atlantis, blah, blah, blather, blah, something..."

Woody: "Mommy, what is Atlantis?"

Me: "Atlantis? It's um, er (concentrating hard on putting some brain cells together to connect to the far reaches of my brain where my memory is located and occasionally retains useful information that I can retrieve and answer my children's questions) well, let's see...
Over 11,000 years ago there existed an island nation located in the middle of the Atlantic ocean populated by a noble and powerful race. The people of this land possessed great wealth thanks to the natural resources found throughout their island. The island was a center for trade and commerce. The rulers of this land held sway over the people and land of their own island and well into Europe and Africa. This was the island of Atlantis."

Well, okay. I didn't really say all that. I googled Atlantis later to impress the internet with my vast knowledge of Greek Mythology. What I really said was more like, "well, it was a city and I'm pretty sure it is a myth but supposedly the people of the city angered the gods so the gods basically destroyed the city and sank it under the sea."

Woody: "What do you mean? Like they made a big earthquake or something?"

Me: "Yeah, something like that. It was a myth though. I don't think it really happened."

Buzz: "I thought Cosmo [from Nickelodeon's Fairly Odd Parents] did it."

7 comments:

Jen said...

Oh that's funny! You still impressed me though...I would have taken the easy road and said "It's a fancy-schmancy resort in the Bahamas!"

Babaloo said...

Jen- I'm trying to score points before heading into the "my mom knows nothing" stage.

Nicole- Cosmo is one of the "Fairly Oddparents." He has magic fairy powers but is kind of regarded as an idiot in the fairy world. I'm guessing there must have been an episode where he caused Atlantis to sink below the sea.

Bonnie B said...

Cute and funny. Buzz never fails to amaze me

Zephra said...

Time to rent the Disney movie i guess. Cosmo did it. HAAHAAHAA

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very cute you never know what kids catch.

Sara with NO H said...

My mouth dropped open when I saw your first answer. Who knows that? lol

you should tell him Cosmo would probably have made it fly and not sink.

Unknown said...

We LOVE Fairy OddParents over here! And our daughter isn't even old enough to really watch. LOL. It's all us. That and Spongebob.