Friday, April 16, 2010

Cautiously Optimistic

Definition - I will be confident that the Sharks can come out with a win tonight. I will watch the game tonight. I will relax with a glass of wine (or two) with the option of a stiff tequila shot if necessary. I won't get mad at my son for listening to the game on the radio in his room (when he should be taking a shower) because it is bad luck. Did I do that? Shamefully and regrettably, I did. Okay, but in my defense everytime (not just once or twice but e-v-e-r-y time) he listens to the radio in his room they lose. I'm not kidding. Besides that he was supposed to take a shower during intermission... which only added to my agitation. But still. No yelling at the kids out of frustration over the game, check. No getting overly excited or overly disappointed. I will distract myself with a book, facebook or dvr'd shows. I will be calm.

The Sharks just have to win tonight. Not only do they need to win but they need to send a message. If they don't do either of these things I just don't know what I will do. Please understand I have been a bay area sports fan all my life. I was a child/teen of the 80's with the San Francisco 49ers. Joe Montana never lost a playoff game (not that I can remember anyway) and he never lost a Superbowl (read, N-E-V-E-R). They always won. It was exciting, it was exhilarating and it was never, ever disappointing. Then, years later with a family of my own, came along the Sharks and I fell in love all over again. My kids play hockey, my husband works at the Tank tending bar in the Club and it is a family affair. Then the last couple of years they have done so well, until, well, the playoffs. These are new waters for me. Navigating through them has been trying and difficult. I've had to adapt a whole new mentality.

So, tonight's mantra is cautious optimism. Or, carefully guarded optimism. After all, some other top seeds lost their home opener, we aren't the only ones. Pittsburgh lost. Capitals (President's Trophy winners) lost. Someone else lost. New Jersey? Detroit lost. Even though they are the lower seed and were the visiting team, they seemed to be favored and in a way an upset. So? Why not. If not now, when?

Go Sharks!!!!

No comments: