Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What I Have Learned Wednesday

1. I have learned that the word "usufruct" means the right to use the property of another as long as it isn't damaged. Hmm... I think this is a made up word by Alex so he can justify taking Jacob's earphones without asking him.

2. I have learned that these are difficult times, but that we are not alone.

3. I have learned that I should not automatically assume someone has it all together and is not dealing with difficult and painful issues in their private life.

4. I have learned that, after nearly ten years, images, thoughts and memories from 9/11 still make me feel like I got punched in the gut.

5. I learned that the new sections of the Bay Bridge's eastern spans were made in China, shipped here and the latest ones (4 sections) weigh over 5,000 tons.

6. I learned that an iPhone will auto correct a blogspot URL (blogspot.com) to "bloodspot.com."

7. I learned that an autodidact is a self-taught person. I saw the word in an article about Jerry Lewis. Someone described him as "the ultimate autodidact." So, naturally, I had to look it up.

8. I learned, sadly, that Jacob's cute moments, that I used to be able to share with friends and loved ones, have slowly transitioned into not-so-cute-teenage-moments that I don't want to share with anyone, except maybe a therapist.

No comments: