Tuesday, May 30, 2006

All good things must end...



...including the holiday weekend.

However, it didn't start out all that great. Our original plans to visit San Diego got cancelled (for reasons I won't go into), so I moped around the house, under the pretense of "cleaning" most of Saturday. We did get out of the house for little bit in the late afternoon, for (wooo hoo!) grocery shopping. Yes, I can be a fun one. Anyway, I yanked myself out of my "mood" by Sunday and, surprisingly, things looked up from there!

We went hiking Sunday morning and even took the dog (those are his ears at the bottom of the picture!). We don't usually take him out much in the car. He doesn't do well in the car. I had to pick him up and put him in the back seat, because he wouldn't willingly jump in. He must associate getting in the car with going to the vet. He cowered and shook on the floor of the car the whole way to the hiking spot. Once we got there, however, he was in heaven. The weather was great and didn't get too hot. We even saw a turtle swimming in the resevoir. We were trying to see some fish, so we were really surprised to see a turtle instead. It was pretty cool. As you can see from the picture, the water levels are pretty high from all the rain we had this season (or as I called it, "Seattle Lite"). Later in the afternoon I took the kids to see Over The Hedge. It was pretty good. There were some good messages in it about junk food and it totally made fun of suburban living. The kids orginally wanted to see Bench Warmers, which I didn't want to see, but it wasn't playing at the theater we went to. Fortunately, they didn't learn how to deal with disappointment from me and were able to pick another movie without any fuss at all!

Yesterday, we pulled out the boogie boards and wetsuits and headed for the beach. We did not take the dog this time. He must of thought we were taking him on another hike because he jumped in the car expectantly when we were loading up our stuff. I felt bad to take him back out, but there wouldn't be anyone to keep and eye on him when we were out in the water. I was not expecting it to be as nice as it was. I think it was even warmer at the coast than it was inland. The waves were nice and even Buzz started catching some smaller ones. In the past he has tried but after swallowing salt water (boogie boarding tip #1: keep your mouth closed) would give up and play in the sand or jump around in the water. This time he kept at it and was so excited when a wave pushed him all the way in to the sand. Woody and I tackled the bigger waves, which never seemed to stop. I (regrettably) didn't take any pictures of the beach because when I grabbed my camera out of the car I had flashbacks to how my last camera had $85 worth of damage when it got sand in it and decided to put it back. That was the beginning of the end for that camera. Oh well. It was a good day anyway, even if it wasn't digitally preserved.
Fast forward to today... and here I am in my office, wishing I was almost anywhere else... (((sigh))) Back to the old grind.

5 comments:

Bonnie B said...

Don't you just hate it when a truly spectacular weekend comes to a fizzle! I had the fmily barbecue: translation 10 people in a two-bedroom house, sticky food and one bathroom. My mother and I went to a craft fair where she bought me a hat that mad eme look like I was either going to the Kentucky Derby or auditioning to be an extra in a Long John Silver's commercial.
She then suprised me with the Pope's ring-- a HUGE amethyst ring (which I do love, but it does remind me of the pope)

Zephra said...

Sounds like a great Sunday. Beats mine any but I did go shopping. You are right, it can be fun. At least until you checkout and have to pay.

Pollyanna said...

Sorry you didn't get to go to San Diego. BUMMER. But, I am glad you got out and about. Good for you. We didn't do ANYTHING fun. Yard work. And Costco. WOO-EEEE indeed.

The Great Sparlini said...

Love the new look for your page. Very summery and light! As for the weekend, it sounds like it was a good one. Pics at the reservoir were beautiful! My trip to San Jose was good. Check out the blog

sweatpantsmom said...

I was at a pool party recently and one of the moms was showing me her new expensive Nikon. She put it away in her pocket and a few minutes later her toddler fell in the pool and she jumped in after him. As soon as she did, I could see the look on her face - not one of relief because her kid was safe, but one of horror because she suddenly remembered...that camera in her pocket.